Sultan Qaboos University Profile and Overview - Oman Higher Education
Set in a valley beneath the stark panorama of the nearby foothills of the Oman Mountains, the Sultan Qaboos University is a tasteful array of buildings designed with arches and courtyards and constructed in white and pink sandstone in a manner that reflects traditional Omani and Islamic architecture. The University was constructed on an axis in the valley with one end aligned toward Mecca.
The traditional Islamic separation of the genders is maintained in the architecture of the University. There is separate access to buildings through lower and upper walkways for men and women and separate seating in the classrooms. Altogether, the campus portrays the rich heritage of Oman and Islam while incorporating all the efficiencies of modern life. The result is an educational and living environment which is both functional and attractive.
Sultan Qaboos University Objectives
As stated in the University Law issued by Royal Decree No. 71/2006 dated 2nd July 2006, Sultan Qaboos University aims to achieve the following objectives in the areas mentioned:
Sultan Qaboos Higher Education
- Graduation of alumni cohorts who value their cultural and Islamic heritage and are keen to strengthen their faith in God and their loyalty to the nation and the Sultan.
- Preparation of Omani youth who are strong in morals, committed to scientific inquiry, qualified academically, and trained to be self-dependent and ready for continuous service to their country.
- Preparation of creative and innovative Omani youth who are lifelong self-learners.
- Provision of specialists and experts of Oman in diverse fields, taking into account the changing need of the marketplace and working within the framework of state policy on resource development.
- Constant modernization of the educational process at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Sultan Qaboos Research
- Conduct research and studies, both theoretical and applied, to serve the community and contribute to the generation of scientific solution to social and economic problems.
- Research linked to the Sultanate's comprehensive development plans and social vision.
- Preparation of Omani scientists, researchers and experts capable of undertaking organized, systematic and innovative work in diverse areas of science, arts and technology.
Sultan Qaboos Community Service
- Participation in community service and development through direct and continuous interaction with economic, social and cultural institutions, and the provision of scientific and technical advice to enable these institutions to utilize the University's skills and expertise.
- Human resources development through continuous academic and training programs for social institutions and through the dissemination of scientific and human knowledge throughout the nation.
Sultan Qaboos Cooperation with Other Academic Institutions
- International links and exchange with other academic institutions, particularly those in the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries.
- Interaction with international academic experience in all areas of thought, science and culture.
Sultan Qaboos Performance Evaluation
- The use of evaluation studies conducted by consultation teams, particularly in the following areas:
- Organization of the relationship between the University Council and the University's institutions in both academic and administrative spheres in a way that facilitates smooth operation and functioning.
- Development of teaching programs and quality standards and the encouragement of student activities.
- Training that develops academic staff skills and enhances performance; also the creation of appropriate incentives.
- Development of academic research plans and programs and organization of research training.
- Cooperation with leading international universities and institutions.
Recent Oman Education News:
Recent news articles published about Oman Education andSultan Qaboos University:
Oman Education Google Blog Search
Recent blog posts about Oman Education concerning the Sultan Qaboos University: