ElementaryTeacher-PK-6 Position Purpose
To develop students' interest, abilities, talents and skills for education and understanding by implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; developing lesson plans; modeling the necessary skills to performing assigned tasks; providing a safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc. Salary:
$38,506-$65,149 (Commensurate with Experience)
Please visit the NCPS webite to determine salary specifics according to the current salalry scale: drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UR5YM0-uZMyGX06iap8YstG15fDyeNNo
. Essential Functions
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
Alternative or Special Education Function
- Know and effectively communicate the Division philosophy and mission.
- Assist the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintain order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Participate in school management and share responsibility for the total school program.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Plan a program of study that, as much as possible, meet the needs, interests and abilities of students.
- Provide an instructional program to meet the needs of all students. Employ a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media to meet the needs and capabilities of the student or students involved.
- Guide the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and in harmony with the goals, establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
- Establish learning objectives consistent with appraisal of student needs, requirements of NCPS curriculum framework and knowledge of human growth and development.
- Plan for regular timely parent communication.
- Establish outstanding relationships with students.
- Plan engaging lessons (taught curriculum) that are aligned with the written and tested curriculum.
- Implement interventions for students who struggle with the taught and tested curriculum.
- On a regular and consistent basis, meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Create a classroom environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process and enable each student to achieve learning objectives.
- Identify special needs and seek the assistance of Division specialists.
- Prepare for classes assigned, and show written evidence of preparation in accordance with Division and State guidelines.
- Plan for and utilize instructional methods, resources and evaluation techniques which motivate and enable each student to achieve learning objectives.
- Take all necessary and safety precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Maintain accurate and complete records as required by law, NCPS policy and administrative regulation.
- Establish high expectations for academic success and classroom behavior.
- Make provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Exert leadership in working with school and Division staff.
- Assist in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Establish relationships with colleagues, students, parents and community which reflect recognition of and respect for every individual.
- Plan and supervise purposeful assignments for teacher assistants and volunteers.
- Appraise his/her own effectiveness and demonstrate successful application of skills and information acquired to increase effectiveness. Strive to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Accept a share of responsibility for extra-curricular activities.
- Provide for professional growth through an ongoing program of reading, workshops, seminars, conferences, and/or advanced course work at institutions of higher learning.
- Perform such additional tasks and assumes other responsibilities as may be assigned or delegated by school administrator.
- Work with individual students in devising educational sequences and experiences that will lead each one to achievement of his or her specified goals.
- Serve as a resource person in support of students pursuing an IEP or AEP individual learning programs.
- Meet regularly with individual students for the purpose of counseling, encouraging, and evaluating.
- Employ instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for achieving stated objectives.
- Make provision for being available to students and parents for conferences outside the instructional day.
- Assist administrators in implementing all the policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct.
- Develop such procedures as are necessary for the success of the alternative or special program.
- Strive to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on IEP or AEP committees.
- Organize and implement an individual program for each student in cooperation with the principal, assistant principal and teacher consistent with school board policy and guidelines.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Use standard office equipment such as; personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Standard teacher work schedule as set forth in the Teachers' Contract.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current instructional teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Work in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
- State Certification as an ElementaryTeacher PK-6 or as required for position.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level and/or subject is a plus.
FLSA Status: Exempt 10-month position
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Machipongo.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process