Signode Industrial Group has an opportunity for an experienced Night Shift Maintenance Technician to work in our Chapin, SC facility. The successful candidate must have a “safety-first” mindset, be a self-motivated partner supporting production operations, be committed to producing quality products and drive continuous improvement throughout the organization. Primary responsibilities include machine maintenance, troubleshooting, repair and improvement of complex plastics processing and ancillary equipment. The candidate will be required to perform root cause analysis, expediently develop and implement solutions and strive to increase equipment reliability, efficiency and effectiveness. Our ideal candidate ensures that the facility and equipment are maintained at the highest level and runs efficiently; will coordinate and implement preventive maintenance activities; provides guidance to peers to ensure optimum production, quality and safety while minimizing cost, energy usage and waste in accordance with corporate policies and health and safety regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Thorough understanding of general and maintenance safe work practices such as LOTO, Hot Work, Electrical Safety, PPE etc.
• Strong electrical and mechanical knowledge to perform maintenance tasks involving AC/DC control circuits, pneumatic and hydraulic systems, lubrication, welding, plumbing, hand tool and shop practices, blue print reading.
• Contributes to and utilizes the preventive maintenance program to minimize unplanned downtime.
• Initiates production equipment modifications that increase productivity and reduce waste. Typical machinery includes, but is not limited to: extruders, sheet handling equipment, rotary slitters, winders, pneumatic conveyors, belt conveyors, chillers, towers and other Production Support Equipment.
• Analyzes mechanical and operational problems with equipment, plans and takes corrective action. Makes necessary corrections and running adjustments to maximize safe production and product quality.
• Supports and provides leadership with plant and facility maintenance needs critical to maintaining production and delivery commitments.
Hydraulics & Pneumatics
· Read, interpret, troubleshoot and perform circuit assembly from schematic diagrams.
· Diagnose failures in a timely manner and provide integrated solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
· Diagnose and evaluate equipment needs, develop integrated solutions in a timely manner to avoid reoccurrence.
· Install and/or modify equipment working from detailed engineering documentation.
· Develop and implement modifications and equipment improvements based on input and operational observations.
· Knowledgeable in electrical distribution and machine controls ranging from 24 to 480 volts AC/DC. Able to read, interpret and troubleshoot using schematic diagrams.
· Have a working knowledge of Programmable Logic Controllers, Variable Frequency Drives, analog and digital dc drives, Robotics and automated conveyor systems.
· Be able to diagnose electrical failures in a timely manner and provide solutions to avoid reoccurrence.
· Ability to diagnose and implement solutions to equipment issues that are electrical in nature.
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to: participating in safety and continuous improvements teams, performing regular equipment checks, using shop equipment and tools (drill press, cut-off saw, arbor press, hydraulic press, wrenches, chisels, grinders, etc.), precision measuring tools and other hand tools.
• Minimum two years of industrial maintenance experience in a manufacturing environment, plastics background preferred.
• Must have strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Solid computer skills with ability to input/export information into a CMMS.
• Experience in plastic extrusion a plus.
• High School diploma or equivalent and related military or industrial training. Industrial maintenance degree preferred.
• Ability to work 8 hour shifts, from 11:00 PM - 7:00 AM including evenings, weekends, and holidays. Extended work hours may occasionally be required.
• The position requires standing, lifting of up to 50 pounds, climbing steps and ladders and working in a production environment. Conditions include high noise levels, temperature variations and some odor. Use of company-provided PPE is required.
Signode Industrial Group is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.