The Wood Mill Operator 2 works under supervision of foreman encompassing the skills of Equalizer, Paint Line Operator, Stacker and Inspector.
operates one or more single or multiple blade circular saws to cut rough green dowels to specified lengths by performing the following duties:
- Ability to operate saw safely and efficiently and be able to perform blade changes and other saw maintenance.
Paint Line Operator:
- Examines material prior to cutting to determine what cuts will remove defects and product maximum footage.
- Recognize and remove defects from dowels while meeting production goals. Recognize and communicate problems with material quality.
- Adjusts and secures ends and backstop on saw table or bolts saws to shaft and turns handwheels to space saws and stops, according to specified length of stock.
- Pulls lever to swing saw through material, or pushes movable table past saw, or depresses treadle to raise saw through slot in machine table, or tilts table for angle cut and presses pedal to move saw through workpiece to cut dowel.
- Verifies dimensions of stock cut and accuracy of cuts.
- Hangs wheelbarrow handles on the paint line.
- Removes wheelbarrow handles from the paint line and packs onto pallet for shipment.
- Quality inspection of handles while banding.
palletize dowels by length by performing the following duties:
- Places dowels piece by piece in layers, leaving space between edges of adjacent pieces.
- Palletizes dowels by count. Builds pallets as needed.
- Places sticks between layers as stack rises to permit circulation of air and bind stack together.
- Attaches identity card to stacks of lumber and records number of stacks by species for supervisor.
- Quality control inspection of dowels while stacking.
- Assists inspector with inspection duties and packaging for transport.
inspects and grades milled, rough sawed, dowels or dimensional stock lumber by performing the following duties:
- Examines dowels and squares on table, moving belt, chain conveyor, or in racks for defects such as knots, stains, decay, splits, faulty edges, pitch pockets, wormholes, and defective milling.
- Assists Mill Manager with accurate inventory control.
- Measures material to ensure specified dimensions. Determines cuts to be made to obtain highest marketable value from material.
- Marks dowels and/or squares to indicate grade and processing instructions.
- Rack all dowels by length and pallet count.
- Tag pallets correctly according to length, diameter, and species.
- Removes unsatisfactory pieces from conveyor or table and places pieces on stacks, in bins, or on carts.
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Wallingford.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process