The Packer is responsible for working in an area producing product that is packed into trays/cartons for shipping. Prepares cartons/carton displays, manually packs/palletizes product, and completes final quality inspection of finished goods.
Essential Job Duties
- Prepares cardboard cartons/trays for product packing by folding, taping, sorting, and labeling cartons, securing carton ends together and placing cartons/trays on the work area. Checks to ensure tape guns/taper have sufficient amount of tape.
- Visual Inspections of final product packaging for product integrity including, but not limited to bag registration, code dates, prices, bag and cases for proper seals. Removes out of specifications product and communicates packaging problems.
- Fills cartons/displays based on packaging specs. Ensures that products are packaged in cases with appropriate corresponding labels; if applicable tapes and seals cartons.
- Stacks correct number of cartons/trays on pallets/skids using correct stacking pattern. If applicable, utilizes pallet jack to move finished goods weighing up to 300lbs.
- Clears loose product from turntable/area; discards defective bags, boxes, trays; sweeps loose product off the floor.
- Assists with product rework according to plant expectations.
- Practices and adheres to appropriate safety and hygiene guidelines/procedures for safe housekeeping and personal protection.
- Keeps work area clean/adheres to 5S protocols.
- Stores packaging room supplies in designated areas.
- Keeps work area aisles/exits clear and free from obstructions.
- Removes trash from work area floor; keeps turntables/area clean; follows instructions for safe lifting/carrying of various sizes, shapes and weights.
- Performs sanitation tasks as directed (including, but not limited to equipment washes, seasoner cleanings, and wipeouts).
- Prepares line for startup and assist with any equipment changeovers, when applicable.
- May operate tray making and/or stapling machines.
- Reports any issues to Machine Operators, Group Leader, or Supervisor as appropriate.
- May perform other duties as required.
- Mandatory overtime may be required.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic mathematical skills.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or GED; or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Manufacturing experience preferred.
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Barnstable.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process