Performs independent financial and operational audits within Owens & Minor to assess overall business risk, the effectiveness of internal controls, the accuracy of financial records and the efficiency of operations. May provide day-to-day technical guidance and direction to other audit staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Plans and executes various financial, compliance, regulatory and operational audit engagements in accordance with accepted professional standards. Develops and utilizes risk-based audit programs to ensure adequate audit coverage and to evaluate the efficiency, effectiveness, accuracy of financial and operating systems and compliance with Company policy including certain laws and regulations.
2. Analyzes and interprets results of audit tests performed for evidence of deficiencies in controls, operational inefficiencies, fraud or lack of compliance with laws, government regulations and the Company's established policies or procedures. Documents these results through the preparation of work papers and memos.
3. Prepares summaries and presents significant findings and recommendations to management. Prepares audit reports clearly detailing audit objectives, results of testing and recommendations for corrective actions for review by audit management. Conducts follow-up procedures to confirm deficiencies were addressed.
4. Interacts with and directly assists external auditors with the Company's annual financial audits.
5. Performs interviews with key process owners to discuss their business process, audit scope, risk and control matrix, audit timing and techniques and other communications as needed.
6. Prepares documentation of significant financial process flows under the Company's Sarbanes-Oxley initiative. Evaluates and identifies key controls, develops test plans and conducts related control testing. Evaluates and reports any design or effectiveness deficiencies to business process owners and audit management.
7. Analyzes testing results to arrive at logical conclusions; recognizes issues, identifies root cause and makes potential recommendations.
8. Continuously focuses on developing more effective and more efficient audit practices through use of technology and data analytics, utilizing available resources such as professional accounting and audit literature, project and time management skills, continuous monitoring as well as identifying emerging risks and issues in our business operations.
SUPPLEMENTAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1. Thorough knowledge of professional auditing standards.
2. General understanding of internal control frameworks (e.g., COSO) and the Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002.
3. Strong knowledge of financial accounting and reporting.
4. Ability to adapt to changing priorities and to participate in multiple projects.
5. Ability to communicate effectively both in written form and orally.
6. Ability to persuade/influence others, building consensus while fostering strong relationships with operating management.
7. Ability to demonstrate effective research, organization and project management skills.
8. Ability to analyze data, identify problems or deficiencies, make recommendations and demonstrate strong business process analysis skills.
9. Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with teammates at all levels within the organization.
10. Ability to discern errors within highly complex/detailed work.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS & WORK AIDS
1. General office equipment and various office and accounting software.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS