- Reports to: Faculty Director
- Department: Academics
- School: STEM
- Program: Electrical Engineering
- Location: Remote
- Date Closing: Open Until Filled
- FLSA Status: Exempt
We are actively seeking to recruit and retain faculty whose diverse backgrounds and experiences enable them to serve effectively in our University’s mission to provide high quality higher education with emphasis on educating the nation’s military and public service communities by offering respected, relevant, accessible, affordable, and student-focused online programs that prepare students for service and leadership in a diverse, global society.
Synopsis of Role:
Full-time faculty members are first and foremost teachers and play a key role within a school as course leads. They are united by the common goal of inspiring academic excellence in students with a broad range of interests and experiences. They are key to creating a rewarding online learning experience for students by engaging them, challenging them, and supporting them. They provide the resources for a quality learning experience for students by ensuring coherence in the discipline, rigor in the content, and relevance and currency to the practice. Full-time faculty members/course leads contribute to a range of activities that support student learning outcomes, program quality, and discipline integrity, all of which focus on student learning and retention. They work with other departments including instructional design, Library and course materials, and marketing.
Academic Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Responsible for course curriculum quality to include:
- Teaching excellence
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers within the timeframe set forth by APUS policy providing effective feedback to guide student learning and success.
- Engage in the classroom and reply to emails, etc. at least every other day, including one day during the weekend.
- Remain aware of classroom procedures and use of instructional materials.
- Deliver online lessons to undergraduate and/or graduate students.
- Initiate, facilitate, interact and moderate online classroom forums.
- Be a faculty leader in your classes embracing fully the Community of Inquiry Framework of Teaching Presence, Cognitive Presence, and Social Presence.
- Comply with APUS guidelines and expectations for quality faculty engagement online.
- Participate in professional development to enhance teaching skills.
- Annually complete at least two APUS Faculty Development modules for effective online learning and teaching.
- Work with Director of Programs and collaborates with faculty to ensure discipline, program and course continuity, currency, and relevance.
- Define course objectives, review regularly, and revise as needed.
- Update course content and materials and/or delivery methods, based on information such as emerging practice changes in the discipline, instructional effectiveness data, current or future performance requirements, feasibility, and costs.
- Analyze courses and prepare analysis for program and course reviews, and course and homework contact hours.
- Remain aware of new classroom procedures, APUS requirements, and instructional materials.
- Attend regular meetings with Director of Programs to stay aware of how their courses fit within the overall program progression and other APUS requirements.
- Ensure APUS instructional standards and policies are reflected in course design.
- Ensures model courses are developed and maintained according to applicable APUS, accreditation, certification, or other requirements.
- Contribute to advancing the discipline as a leader
- Keep abreast of developments in one’s own field by reading current literature, engaging with colleagues, and participating in professional organizations and conferences.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Administrative responsibilities
- Attend school and discipline meetings (monthly or quarterly) on curriculum, content, development of discipline and practice, and APUS expectations.
- Convene meetings with faculty teaching your courses to ensure they are aware of the curriculum intent.
- Provide guidance to instructors to clarify lessons, assignments, and course design elements.
- Adaptability/Flexibility — Open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Cooperation – Pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Communications — Knowledge of communication and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform via written, oral, and visual media.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Deep Knowledge – Knowledge of one’s discipline family and practice and the ability to translate theory and practice into learning opportunities that advance the discipline.
- Education — Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and knowledge of measurements.
- Initiative – Willing and able to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Leadership – Willing and able to lead; take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Learning Strategies — Selecting and using instructional methods and procedures appropriate in the discipline family when learning or teaching new things.
- Monitoring — Monitoring/assessing curricula to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Self-Control – Maintain composure, keep emotions in check, control anger, and avoid aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Stress Tolerance —Ability to accept criticism and deal calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
Required Education and Experience:
- Terminal degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- College-level teaching experience is required.
- Online teaching experience is preferred.
- Curriculum or course development experience is preferred.
- Capability to support non-traditional students (adults/working adults/part-time students, etc.) in achieving the learning outcomes of relevant programs.
- Ability to instruct and support students from a broad variety of backgrounds and prior experience.
- Ability to uphold academic rigor and integrity, and simultaneously assist students in achieving academic and practical success.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs is required.
Preferred Areas of Expertise and Experience:
- One or more years of college-level teaching experience in one of the following fields is preferred: Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or Physics.
- Proficiency in one or more of the following areas: Satellite communications, Microwave communications, Telecommunications, Digital Signal Processing, Experience teaching classes in one or more of the following areas is desired: Analog Electronics, Digital Electronics, Networking, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Computer Programming, Signal Encryption/Decryption, Cybersecurity for Communications Systems.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Sitting, extensive use of keyboard
- Required attendance at meetings in Charles Town, WV, Virginia, or D.C.
*Please note: Full-time faculty members and directors are to consider APUS their primary employer. Full-time salaried faculty and directors may not be full-time employees of any university, school, college, or institution of higher education outside of APUS; this includes administrative, staff, and teaching positions.
*Please note: Applicants selected to proceed in the hiring process with conferred degrees from foreign institution(s) will require a course-by-course evaluation completed by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency. All charges associated with official transcripts and foreign transcript evaluations are the responsibility of the applicant and are not reimbursed by APUS.
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Charles Town.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process