Start Rate: $19.36 an hr
Shift: 6 am to 2:30pm with OT as needed
The general purpose of this position is responsible all aspects of railcar repair and maintenance. The person must be able to read and understand blueprints, make car repairs in compliance with FRA & AAR rules and keep good repair records. Ensure all company guidelines are met and all safety rules are followed when performing duties
Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities are listed below. Other duties may be assigned.
• Interpret job work orders to perform required railcar repairs; the focus is providing a complete, accurate, realistic and timely repair to our customer.
• Coordinate and complete repairs in an efficient manner and within assigned hours
• Notify supervisor of any materials and/or equipment required to ensure completion of job tasks
• Interact with crew members in a team environment, as well as with supervisor
• Follow all safety rules, keep work area clean and comply with all GBW Environmental Health and Safety Policies
• Ensure AAR, GBW and customer quality assurance standards are met
• Any other duties as assigned such special projects
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to read and write English at a high school level
• Work in hot and cold environment, in and out of the weather; work safely around heavy equipment and on top of and under railcars, as well as around railroad tracks.
• Demonstrate basic mechanical skills
• Basic knowledge of tools used to weld, cut and torch metal
• Ability to pass a D15.1 or M1002 weld test which includes a horizontal, vertical, and overhead weld
• Perform/ prioritize multiple tasks with attention to details.
• Ability to independently establish work tasks in order to successfully meet expectations.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions including basic blue prints and schematics.
• Basic mechanical skills and the ability to read a tape measure
• Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including but not limited to steel toed boots, eye protection, ear plugs, gloves, hot work PPE, and fall protection.
N (Not Applicable): Activity is not applicable to this occupation
O (Occasionally): Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0- 2.5+ hours/day)
F (Frequently): Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 -- 5.5+ hours/day)
C (Constantly): Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hours/day)
Stand -- F
Reach Above Shoulder -- F
Walk -- C
Climb -- F
12 lbs. or less -- F
10 lbs. or less -- F
Sit -- O
Crawl -- F
13 -- 25 lbs. -- F
11 -- 20 lbs. -- F
Handling/Fingering -- F
Squat/Kneel -- F
26 -- 40 lbs. -- F
21 -- 50 lbs. - O
Reach Outward -- F
Bend -- F
41 -- 100 lbs. O
51 -- 100 lbs. -- O
With the exception of clerical, administrative, and some management positions, which require indoor work, the physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, dry/arid and dusty conditions. May be frequently exposed to heights that require the use of fall protection equipment. Team members are required to use personal protective equipment as environmental conditions dictate.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Houston.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process