Infant Toddler Lead Teacher
5919 Kalanionaole Hwy. Honolulu, Hawaii 96817
Plan and carry out daily program and activities for a group of infant/toddler age children
Center Director, Preschool Division Director, Kama'aina Kids President
May work with and supervise an assistant teacher or aide
Essential Job Functions (fundamental teacher responsibilities):
Secondary Job Functions (tasks that can be delegated):
- Establish and maintain developmental appropriate environment that supports the growth and development of children.
- Plan and conduct developmentally appropriate daily activities for children.
- Turn in written lesson plans according to schedule established.
- Observe record and report significant individual and group behavior.
- Be responsible for written communication to parents; notes, newsletters, end of year written report on children. Conduct Parent and Teacher conferences.
- Establish a safe and healthy nurturing environment for children.
- Supervise children by sight and sound at all times.
- Attend staff meetings, school programs, In Service Training.
- Display teaching excellence for other staff; role model, share professional and technical information
- Establish/follow feeding schedules and procedures for infants and others as needed.
Additional Responsibilities (expected of all staff):
- Assist with or write up lesson plans.
- Write communications to parents; notes, newsletters, yearend report.
- Fill out injury reports.
- Set up classroom daily
- Change diapers and/or wet or soiled clothing.
- Keep the environment clean and orderly; bend and pick up toys, wipe tables and chairs, etc.
- Answer the telephone and record messages according to format.
Personal Demands of the Position:
- Relate joyfully and sensitively to children.
- Greet parents cheerfully.
- Greet children individually, warmly and cheerfully.
- Give caring personal attention to children when they need it; comfort crying, dry tears, wipe noses, give hugs and reassurance.
- Be conscious of cleanliness of children; soiled clothing must be changed, children’s hands and faces kept clean.
- Report all sign of illness, injury, unusual behavior or possible abuse to the Center Director.
- Use group management and discipline that is positive, appropriate and consistent.
- Maintain a positive attitude toward children, parents and coworkers.
- Communicate with children, parents, coworkers and Director.
- Work cooperatively with Director and other staff towards maintaining a quality program for children.
Physical Demands of the Position:
- Emotional maturity and stability.
- Emotional stamina to work positively with young children for the length of scheduled workday.
- Mental stability; patient, flexible, sense of humor, positive, consistent, dependable, cooperative.
- Sufficient security and judgment to handle crisis situations.
- Able to take supervision and correction constructively.
- Able to positively supervise aides and other personnel when required.
- Clean personal hygiene
- Bending, squatting, kneeling, crawling, and sitting on low chairs or on the floor.
- Lifting children weighing up to 45 pounds.
- Pushing, pulling, lifting furniture.
- Detecting unsafe situations by sight or sound.
- Moving quickly to intervene in unsafe situations.
This job description is not intended to be and should not be constructed as an all inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with the position. While it is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements, management reserves the right to modify; add or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary to meet the needs of the children, the program and the Center.
Clear a local and national criminal background check.
- Clear an employment history check.
- Free of TB
- At least 18 years of age.
- Medical Statement of Good Health
- Must meet State of Hawaii Requirement as a Lead Caregiver (Registry)
Preferred Qualifications (other helpful qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree in ECE, Child Development, or related field. Other options are 2 years of college (60) credits preferably in ECE, Child Development or related field or CDA and high school diploma
- 12 credits approved in ECE or Child Development training courses. (May be part of 30 hours course work in Infant and Toddler development from and accredited teacher training institute/ program.
- WithB.A.; 12 months of full time experience working with children under 36 months in a licensed group care setting
- With B.A.; 24 months full time experience working with children under 5 years in licensed group care setting of which 12 months must be with children under 36 months.
- Hold a current First Aid/Pediatric CPR Training certificate. #CB
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Honolulu.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process