Basic Job Info
4 Year Degree
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Teaches elementary school pupils academic, social and manipulative skills. Maintains order in classrooms, halls and on playground. Encourages students. Promotes cooperative behavior. Counsels pupils when adjustment and academic problems arise. Discuses pupils academic performance and behavior with parents and suggests remedial action. Maintains required records.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Plans, prepares and presents lesson plans, assignments, and instructional materials to students in an appropriate fashion.
2. Develops, selects and modifies instructional plans and materials to meet the needs of all students.
3. Prepares long and short range teaching plans/timeline for course of study.
4. Selects and uses appropriate instructional strategies to include lectures, group discussions, demonstrations and audio-visual teaching aids to present subject matter to students.
5. Makes assignments, corrects papers, and hears oral presentations.
6. Maintains order and discipline in the classroom conducive to effective learning and supervises students in a variety of school related settings.
7. Diagnoses students' strengths and needs and develops plans to meet needs.
8. Provides an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social, and the emotional development of children.
9. Monitors appropriate use and care of equipment, materials and facilities.
10. Maintains order and discipline in the classroom conducive to effective learning and supervises students in a variety of school-related settings.
11. Keeps attendance and grade records as required by Board Policy/Administrative Regulation.
12. Prepares, administers and corrects tests, and records results.
13. Counsels pupils when academic and adjustment problems arise.
14. Confers with parents and students regarding progress/problems of assigned students; arranges and participates in teacher -parent or teacher-student conferences as necessary.
15. Serves on special committees.
16. Attends and actively participates in staff/faculty meetings; and provides input regarding the planning of instructional goals, objectives and methods.
17. Improves skill and knowledge base in current trends, research and methodology in instructional techniques, technology, multicultural content, problem solving and interdisciplinary connections.
18. Evaluates student progress using appropriate assessment techniques.
19. Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of school organization, goals and objectives with special emphasis on teaching techniques.
• Knowledge of materials in field of specialization. Knowledge of current trends and research in field of specialization.
• Ability to speak and write effectively.
• Ability to deal effectively with students, staff and parents.
• Knowledge of and proficiency in technical areas of instruction.
• Satisfactory score on any test required.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
• Ability to effectively communicate with diverse communities and develop outreach strategies to encourage parental involvement in student learning.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and engage diverse parents/ guardians with varied communication styles, levels of skill and experience to support their child’s education experience.
• Ability to employ a variety of teaching styles to respond to the needs of diverse learners.
• Eligible for Maryland State Board of Education professional certificate appropriate to area of assignment.
Career Ladder Requirements
• As required by the duties and responsibilities of the job.
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Annapolis.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process