Employment type: Full-time; 10 months
Location(s): Philadelphia, PA
About Children’s Literacy Initiative:
Children’s Literacy Initiative is a 501(c)(3) non-profit working with Pre-K through 5th grade teachers to improve early literacy instruction so that children become powerful readers, writers, and thinkers.
Our goal is to close the literacy achievement gap between disadvantaged children and their more affluent peers. CLI’s proven theory of action shows that when teachers receive the right combination and intensity of training and coaching, they can become exemplary instructors who make an impact in helping children achieve. Our workshops and institutes build teachers’ understanding of literacy as well as the art and science of teaching children how to read and write. By focusing on professional skills that improve over time and are not lost when administrations, buildings, or curricula change, CLI helps create a sustainable, district-wide culture of literacy that introduces students to the joys of reading, writing, and life-long learning.
CLI’s Literacy Coaches provide one-on-one professional development coaching to early elementary (K-5) teachers in various public schools systems, throughout the country. We are seeking elementary educators who believe that all students deserve a great foundation in literacy regardless of their socio-economic background. You should have experience implementing balanced literacy best practices in K-5 classrooms, a passion for sharing knowledge/collaborating with fellow teachers.
CLI’s Literacy Coaches are a team of 100+ balanced literacy coaches that provide one-on-one professional development coaching to early elementary (K-5) teachers in public schools. While employees of CLI, Literacy Coaches work daily within a public school where they are integral part of their school’s literacy strategy. They facilitate professional development, model teaching best practices, consult on classroom environment, conduct non-evaluative observations and work collaboratively with teachers to implement literacy strategies that enable student achievement.
The statements below describe the general scope of work performed in this role. Other duties may be assigned
· Analyzes teacher practice through ongoing classroom observations, data analysis, and examination of student work
· Provides clear and direct feedback to teachers based on analysis of practice and tracks student and teacher progress to assess the effectiveness of coaching
· Develops teachers’ capacity to collect and analyze multiple sources of data to improve student learning
· Fosters collaboration and teacher leadership
· Attends professional development meetings, training and all events led by CLI
Children’s Literacy Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The successful candidate is motivated by our mission. This role offers the opportunity to have a profound and lasting impact on literacy, thus, achievement. Candidates must possess the following qualifications:
· 5 years of teaching and or coaching experience in a K-5 classroom (Urban teaching experience preferred)
· 3 years of utilizing core instructional literacy practices including Balanced literacy, Guided Reading and, Readers and Writers Workshops
· Must have a collaborative coaching style
· Ability to cultivate and maintain amicable relationships with Teachers and Principals
· Must be able to pass all required clearances and background checks
· A Master’s degree in elementary education, early childhood, literacy, reading or similar education is desired
· Ability to conduct and deliver effective, personal development workshops and presentations
· Strong desire to make a difference
· Appropriate state level teacher certification
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Denver.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process