Basic Job Info
2 to 3 years
2 Year Degree
$15.00 - $17.00 /Hour
The Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center
is accepting qualified applicants for their Bookkeeper opening
. The Salvation Army is a branch of Christian Church, and the ultimate goal of all programs is the spiritual regeneration of all people.
- Enter bale production summaries into the Rag Program verifying all information and enter
shipping memo sales information into the rag program.
- Enter payments by rag dealers into the rag program
- Print Accounts Receivable report for review and filing at month-end.
- Receives shipping memoranda from the warehouse and prepares a sales invoice using the same document number. If the sale is a credit sale, then the invoice is mailed to or
delivered to the customer and a copy is placed in the open invoice folder and in the warehouse sales folder. If the sale is a cash sale, then the invoice is marked paid and mailed to or delivered to the customer and a copy is placed in the paid invoice folder and in the warehouse sales folder. In addition, the paid invoice should indicate the receipt
number for the payment. The shipping memorandum is attached to the invoice copy that is placed in the warehouse sales folder.
- Receives payments on open warehouse sales invoices. Pulls the invoice from the open invoice folder, marks it paid with the corresponding receipt number, places it in the paid
invoice folder. Issues the appropriate receipt and deposits the check.
- Make phone calls to collect outstanding accounts receivable. Provide schedule of account receivable (aged) to the Administrator on a monthly basis.
- Counts, receipts and deposits all non-store income including but not limited to meeting collection, restricted donations, warehouse sales, key deposits, room and board
payments, telephone refunds, etc.
- Enters the receipts into the computer from the receipt book by batch (deposit). Runs a proof (edit) list, checks for accuracy, makes corrections as appropriate and updates the
- Files stamped duplicate deposit tickets in the receipt book along with adding machine tapes totaling the corresponding receipts. Files the receipt updates in the appropriate binder.
- Gives the original receipts to the remitter of funds with the exception of restricted donations at the time when funds are delivered to the finance department. Receipts for
restricted donations are given to the payroll/accounting clerk for typing thank you letters.
- Cut checks from store accounts to operating on a weekly basis.
- Process payable invoices including running and attaching adding machine tapes to verify arithmetic accuracy, matching invoices to work order slips or shipping memos, securing approvals, and securing credits for state sales tax incorrectly included on invoices, etc.
- Enter invoices into the computer. Run a proof (edit) list, check for accuracy, make corrections as appropriate and update the batch.
- Select invoices for payment, print checks, secure signatures, attach remittance slips and mail or deliver checks. Attach supporting documentation to copies of checks and file.
- Review statements and secure copies of missing invoices.
- Complete credit applications.
- Provide copies of tax exempt forms to vendors.
- Maintain and secure vehicle titles, registrations, etc.
- Submit forms for permits, licenses, etc. as approved by administrator.
- Calculate and cut check for world services at month-end, monthly.
- Cut sales tax check per the sales tax report provided by the store program.
- Cut refund checks to store customers as approved by administrator or store supervisor.
- Review phone bills and identify or secure identification of long distance charges as to whether they are business or personal. Secure refund of personal calls including tax.
Indicate receipt number of personal refunds in check jacket.
- Produce Shelby 1099 report at year-end and give to Payroll Clerk.
- Prepare journals as necessary. Attach supporting documentation and secure Administrator approval.
- Enter journals into the computer. Run a proof (edit) list, check for accuracy, make corrections as appropriate and update the batch.
- Prepare journals for transfer of inventory between canteen and kitchen.
Supervise Payroll Clerk
- Process gratuity report, print gratuity receipts, cut gratuity check, etc. Follow up with Head Counselor to secure all signed gratuity receipts. File receipts in corresponding
check jacket with gratuity report and adding machine tape.
Back-up Petty Cash
- Receive payroll reports and checks from Paychecks. Hold checks and give reports to payroll clerk. Upon approval of payroll clerk, distribute paychecks directly to employees
- Review payroll register for accuracy. Receive payroll summary report from payroll clerk and cut check per the summary. Review voluntary deduction and hand checks for
- Review and countersign payroll clerks time card.
- Act as custodian for secondary petty cash fund. Review vouchers for completeness, supporting documentation adding machine tapes, signatures and approvals, etc. before
- Sell vouchers to primary petty cash custodian
- Cut checks to payroll clerk to replenish petty cash. Checks may be written to bookkeeper to replenish secondary petty cash if payroll clerk is out for extended period of time.
- Transfer store information to Shelby at least weekly and after last of month has been entered and updated. Edit and update the information in Shelby.
- At month-end, transfer store expenses, from Shelby, into store program.
- Process loss of funds forms to Command Headquarters after securing administrator signature.
- Process non-personnel insurance claims (property, liability, auto, etc.)
- Review Chesterfield Resources insurance (health and life) audit reports monthly for accuracy and against employee payroll deductions.
- Prepare monthly remittance advice, secure signatures, run monthly reports and transmit this information along with payment to Command Headquarters.
- Prepare Balance Sheet account analysis monthly. Send copy to Command Headquarters. Follow up outstanding items.
- Review monthly printouts for significant variances from budget. Notify administrator of significant variances and reasons.
- Reconcile the payroll bank statement.
- Receive reconciled operating and store bank statements from payroll clerk.
- Do daily back-ups of the Shelby and store databases, and weekly back-ups of gratuity , payroll and Chesterfield data.
- Print from the accounting system, preliminary budgets by departments (for distribution to department supervisors).
- Assist administrator in preparation of annual budget.
- Enter proposed budget in Shelby system.
- Print Special Reports - Preliminary Budget Reports 20 - 23 for submission to CHQ for approval.
- Maintain inventories (except quarters, food and canteen).
- Maintain food stamp logs, box and records.
- Attend training sessions as approved by Administrator and/or Command Headquarters.
- Cross train and act as a back-up to the payroll clerk.
- Other duties as may be assigned by immediate supervisor and/or Administrator.
- Should be self motivated and able to work independently.
- Strong computer skills.
- Good with figures.
- Work related experience preferred.
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Toledo.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process