“Helping our community’s most vulnerable with solutions that permanently improve lives"
SUMMARY: Under the guidance and supervision of a Teacher Licensing Supervisor or designee, the Head Start Teacher is responsible for ensuring student progress as described in the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework. The Head Start Teacher is required to demonstrate competencies needed to effectively implement curriculum, plan and facilitate high quality learning activities, and provide an engaging and secure learning environment in which children can form a strong foundation for school readiness and later school success. Assignment is for the school year (10 months) with scheduled breaks identified at the beginning of each program year as dictated by program requirements and site calendar.
DUTIES: Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Child Development, Health, and Safety
Teamwork, Communication, and Professional Standards
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
1. Must meet one of the following educational requirements:
Associate degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE) or other directly related discipline
Associate degree with 18 credit hours of approved ECE coursework
Associate degree and a current Arizona Department of Education Teaching Certificate that includes qualification to teach preschool age children
Bachelor or higher degree in ECE or other directly related discipline
Bachelor or higher degree with 18 credits of approved ECE coursework
Bachelor or higher degree and a current Arizona Department of Education Teaching Certificate that includes qualification to teach preschool age children
2. Demonstrated competency in the following areas:
Providing effective and nurturing teacher-child interactions
Planning, facilitating, and evaluating learning experiences that ensure effective curriculum implementation
Promoting children’s progress as described in the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework and applicable State early learning and development standards, including children eligible for services under the Individual Disability Education Act (IDEA)
3. Teacher experience in an early education or preschool environment preferred
Credentials, Licenses, and Certifications
1. Meets Arizona Department of Health Services (AZDHS) requirements for licensure
2. Possesses or acquires, and maintains, Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance
3. Approved documentation of a negative result for a tuberculin (TB) skin test or chest x-ray
4. Meets federal Head Start employment requirements including physical examination at hire (and every three years thereafter)
5. Possesses or completes verified training in First Aid and CPR (within ninety (90) days of hire) and remains current in the certification
6. Possesses or acquires, and maintains, valid Maricopa County Environmental Services Food Service Worker Certificate
7. Possesses and maintains valid Arizona driver license (An individual must be 21 years of age or older to drive on behalf of Catholic Charities Community Services Westside Head Start).
8. Reliable personal transportation and ability to show proof of current/valid vehicle registration and insurance
We Value Diversity!