Victor Antonio provides a simple, useful discipline for developing an effective sales pitch or diagnosing why a sales pitch fails. Initially, he plans for the worst. He recommends always starting with the assumption that the customer is highly resistant to buying and then working to decrease that resistance.
Think MT NUT: An acronym for 5 reasons people don’t buy:
- No Money – people will spend the money if they see the value of the purchase
- No Time – people will take the time if they believe they will make (more) money
- No Need – often, you must demonstrate a need for a product/service
- No Urgency – sell the “gain” as well as “pain,” i.e., what is lost by not deciding
- No Trust – buyer needs to trust making the purchase from you